Sunday, July 04, 2010

Hermit Crab

Our desktop PC died last month and I wasn't able to finish the Flora and Fauna series, but because it's a brand new month, I will tackle a different set of critters for the month of July, and for this month it's all about the animals I took pictures of while I was vacationing in my mom's hometown (Bolinao, Pangasinan).

Hermit Crab


On my third day, there was no definite plans of going out. Maybe because my cousin (who was my tour guide) got tired checking places the day before that we decided to make this day a rest day, but come late in the afternoon, I was feeling a bit bored so I asked my niece (daughter of another cousin) if she would want to walk with me to the Macallawan Port to watch the sunset. It was a little over a kilometer walk from my Aunt's house, and my niece really wanted to go out so she giddy said she would be glad to walk with me.

The island shore of Macallawan was once a port for small boats, but even if no passenger boats dock there anymore, the port shed was still there, as some people living in the island would still get some rented boats going to their destination. The island shore was very rocky, but whenever I was vacationing there, a visit to the rocky shore will always be on my "to do" list.

With so many fish cages in the sea, the amount of marine life also flourished in the area. Creatures like mussels, oysters, and other sea shells benefit from the taste of fish feed laden waters, and I found it really amazing to actually pick a rock from the sea bed and see some fresh oysters! Of course, these oysters were a bit smaller from the ones in the market, but if you're lucky, you can actually find some big ones, too!

While waiting for the sunset, my niece and I checked out rocks and took pictures of the surroundings, and she was able to pick this small hermit crab. She was quite happy about her discovery that she asked me to take a picture of it and hesitant as I was (the crab might bit me), I still took a picture of it.

Happy 4th of July to all blogger friends in the USA.

*** Jenn ***

1 comment:

eileeninmd said...

My son has some pet hermit crabs. they are interesting critters.